Vancouver, on the north bank of the Columbia at Vancouver WA, was
established in 1824. Even though it appeared long after the Corps
passed this way, those august explorers may have influenced its location.
The fort was strategically placed here by the British Hudson's Bay
Company to compete with American fur traders moving west after The
Corps's returned to St Louis. British fur traders had been exploring
the Northwest for decades and Alexander Mackenzie reached the Pacific
in 1793. The fort replica is off WA HWY 14 in Vancouver.